Saturday, May 12, 2007

Convent Garden


After my first attempt to spend a day at Convent Garden failed due to having to move, I decided to go back and make my way to the London Transport Museum, which was gonna be one of the few places I was actually going to have to pay to enter.
Ha Ha Ha - what happens? I get there and it closed!!! And until November none the less. DAMN.
So what would be my next stop? Somewhere free, seeing as I didn't have my guide book with prices in to tell me that I wasn't going to spend an arm and a leg, plus I had to know where it was, all I needed was to wonder into a dodgy neighbourhood!

Ah, yes, the Science Museum. But before I hopped on the tube I decided to wonder around Covent Garden a bit, it was windy and cold but none the less I much see a little bit.
As you walk out of the tube/up to the tube there are lots of street performers. There are ppl that have, black or silver or gold or multicolour clothes on that stand as still as statues.
One guy sits with his guitar that acts as a robot, when you put money into his tray it's as if you are switching him on and he plays a song.
Unfortunetly he is over shadowed by a guy two ticks down that uses a devise in his mouth to sound like a cartoon. He plays this character that is like a pissed of mime with a voice. He stands on his podostil and makes fun of ppl as they walk past, it's hard to describe but he's damn funny. So everyone gathers around him and waits for someone to walk past and be picked on, it's all in good fun.
Another performer is dressed up like a fellon and gets someone from the audience to wrap him in chains from which he escapes, but bad and pretty entertaining.

The Royal Opera House is just a block from Covent Garden Tube station, I never went inside, I can only imagine that is it absolutely stunning inside there. Buskers stand up and down the roads surrounding the opera house and hold signs pointing in the house's direction to entice ppl to pop in, have a look and hopefully buy a ticket or two or three for a show.

I did however go into the little Disney shop that was just outside the Arcade/Plaza (picture above) and holy hell was it hot in there! I think they had the heating on so hot that they were soley responsible for melting the polar caps. I know it was cold outside but it was so hot in there is was just ridiculous! I actually heard quite a few shoppers commenting on the heat and said they were leaving, and honestly I would've stayed and browsed some more and more than lightly brought something that I so didn't need but it was crazy hot in there, so left.

Okay, enough time wasted off to the tube station it was. Now to get to South Kensington.
Once there it's Museum City, you don't even have to walk up top, in between the traffic and deal with the elements. And the Science Museum was at the end of the underground path. It's probably a good 1km walk. It was all good as long as the museum wasn't boring.
As I was walking the crowds and masses started to tapper off. Pretty soon it was only myself and one guy heading to the Science Museum exit, oh my, is this such a boring museum that no one wants to go there?

Turn right the sign said so I did, next thing through the exit doors I saw a set of wheels for a commercial airliner, well well well maybe this was going to be interesting after all I thought...

No comments: