Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Spring Has Sprung


Today was the first day of ppl cutting their grass in about 4 months. It's so nice to be experiencing this coz back home it's summer and spring all year round.
I've been noticing things for a few weeks now. One of the biggest things that has really impressed me is last week, everyday that I woke and walked to work a new tree had bloomed, having the whole tree covered in flowers.
In partiular I've been keeping an eye on these little pods, growing on a creeper that is cascading over a wall on my work walk route. These little pods started off as what looked like baby acorns. Last week they popped out of their casings and looked like caterpillars all covered in fur. During the week the fur got thicker and whiter and this week I see that there are now pollen heads off of every strand of fur/hair. I can't wait to see what happens next.
I think coming from a country where flowers are so abundant and frequent that you start to over look them and don't ever see the process that the plant goes thru in order to bloom that beautiful flower. I find that I'm paying more and more attention to things now.

As well as the plants changing, the weather is too. There are more sunny days and the wind is starting to pick up more. Also when it rains it's not that soft drizzle any more, the rain is getting heavier and if it does rain it's for the whole day not just in patches. But I've got to say that there are more non-rain days than rainy ones. And by that I mean, cloudy or sunny. And really you can face the cloudy days, at least you don't have to drag an umbrella around. I still haven't even brought one... I just wear my huge big army jacket and get told I look like a man, some ppl really should get their eyes tested!!! The sun is also warm now, meaning you can actually stand in the sun to warm up, not like in winter where it's just as cold as the air is. I can't wait for summer when all the trees have their leaves back and the air is hot.

You really don't think that you'll see some thing as simple as the seasons changing to be a big experience but it has turned into an appreciation for me as well as an eye opener as to how much you really can neglect.

No comments: