Thursday, March 15, 2007

National Insurance

Politician

I went for my NI Interview. I wasn't stressing too much I was just worried that I was gonna give some inappropriate answer that would screw up my chances of getting the number. Or even worse would get me in big trouble and I would have to go back home... I haven't earned nearly enough money to go back home or done enough touring!!!

I was told by the agent that I called to book the interview "Get there at least 10 mins early coz if you don't they won't consider seeing you". So I plan to get there 15mins early. Knowing me I leave earlier and actually wind up getting there 30mins early.

After researching which bus to catch and how long it would take to get there I get off at the stop, walk up the wrong street, look at my map and find the right street. Ah ha I see the building. What the hell?!?!? IT ONLY OPENS AT 9!!! Why tell me to get there early?! So I went to find a sunny spot and sat down, lucky me the two ppl next to me decide to light up and puff away. There's nothing worse than ppl that smoke and that's ppl that smoke in their cars and worse than that is ppl who feel the need to smoke at 7am as soon as they wake up! I sat there for about 5 mins thinking, okay their cigs will finish just now... THEY DIDN'T. It was really bugging me coz being the smoke attracting machine I am, the damn wind is blowing my way!!! I tell you the fire brigade should hire me to stand in a certain place for all the smoke to come towards me so they can see to fight the fires!!! It's ridiculous.
What was I saying?...
So I was getting pissed off but didn't wanna move coz the sun was warming me up and I'd made myself comfortable. The smoke proved too much and I got up and tried to storm off to show my disgust (I don't think it worked). I then stood in what looked like the next best sunny place, but I was leaning against a stone wall, cold very very cold. Still it was in the sun at leadt. As I waited I saw the pile of ppl outside the doors growing, I'll be damned if they were gonna get in before I was!!! Eventually at 8:55 I walsed my way past the ppl and stood in front of the door. It was like the January sales when the security guard opened the doors (2 mins late I might add). The front of house person announced that NI applications are on the 5th floor, next thing everyone turns like sheep being herded by a sheep dog and walking to the lifts. Four of us get in the first lift and then 3 more ppl decide to cram in, hee hee hee, the voice says - this lift is over crowded so the 3 get back off. 2 dudes get off on the 3rd floor and there is me and a chinese woman left. YIPPEE, now I'm thinking about beating her out the lift and hoping that the other lift hasn't beaten ours.
Well I never beat her out the lift (she was too large for me to push past). But at least we beat the other lift. We both handed our reservation letters in and were told to sit and wait. We only waited for about 2 mins and the ppl called out our names.
I got someone by the name of Ruth. She was nice enough. I was now waiting for all these questions. I handed over my paper work (letters, payslips, proof of address, visa details etc). Ruth photocopied everything and then went on filling in the forms. All she asked me was if I had family in the UK and how I arrived in the country as well as when I started work...
The Spanish woman getting interviewed next to me was getting grilled!!! 40 mins later and all the paperwork was filled out. Ruth gave my passport and ID to go to data entry. As I sat waiting for the docs to be returned I saw Ruth interviewing her next person. A Polish man with a woman to interpret. Ruth wasn't impressed that he had been working since August and hadn't made the NI application earlier nor had he learnt any more English than hello and kiss my arse (not literally). I've gotta say Ruth had it easy thou, the lady behind me was interviewing a Polish man too and he didn't speak a word of English but understood it, she was having a really hard time. That dude then came around to ask the girl that was at Ruth's desk if she can come help him... Ha, I wonder how long she was going to be there for... To be very honest, I can't understand how ppl can come and live in a country and they don't know the language, I holiday is okay, but actually living and getting by day to day on no English is just stupid to me. I mean at to not have even learnt any at all, that's crazy...

I sat for the next 30 mins waiting for my documents to came back. I wasn't worried about the waiting, but I did have a monster pee on board!!!
EISH, WENNA how can I publish that?! well I just did...
And I was beginning to wonder how I got off so easily. Coz the foreign language speaking ppl were getting grilled, mother's maiden names, first thru to current addresses, how long are they staying, why are they here, are they going for English lessons - and more...

And that was that, it was off to find the bus out of this dodgy town and then off to work. ARGH, wake at 6am and only get home at 11pm wind up sleeping at 1am or so after watching a movie.

Life is tough I tell you but it's all worth it in the end!

No comments: